VestaCP Up and Running!

I’m a VestaCP Admin now!  Really pleased with how things turned out. I had a domain and WordPress Website up and running within three hours of installation.  Granted I researched the steps almost to death in advance but I’m happy with my progress so far.  Sorting out phpmyadmin took most of the three hours, otherwise the WordPress site could have been up and running within 30 minutes.

The first hurdle I thought I may have difficulties with was the DNS, but that went like a breeze.  Probably because I’d already created name servers for my Domain at Namecheap and the DNS had already propagated.  Only tiny hurdle I had to sort out was finding where the packages were so I could add my domain name servers, and as usual it was staring me right in the face.  It was on top!

Next DNS issue that puzzled me a little was VestaCP created a domain with vps.domain.com.  Whereas it should have been domain.com.  So think I’m going to experiment with setting up VestaCP with domain.com instead of vps.domain.com from scratch to test it.  In this case I added a new domain called domain.com, and then deleted the vps.domain.com.  However think this could potentially create conflicts, so want to test that out.

The next challenge turned into quite a big one, i.e. the phpmyadmin configuration.  I had followed all the steps from a tutorial I’d found in YouTube, but it didn’t quite work out.  Then when I Googled for a solution I lucked out on a script from VestaCP for sorting out phpmyadmin, which I promptly installed, and that seemed to have sorted everything out.  I was impressed with the script as it deleted everything that needed to be deleted, so I didn’t need to figure out what needed to be deleted first. So now I am not quite sure which part was responsible for the success or whether it was a partial success on both sides.  Think I need to rerun everything tonight, to see for myself whether the script can stand on its own.

Once VestaCP phpmyadmin was set up and running, I was able to load a WordPress site.  First I tried my Duplicator Installer but that didn’t work at all.  Next I downloaded a fresh installation of WordPress and SFTP’d the new installation files to the domain public.html.  Then created a new database to which I imported the .sql file of the WordPress site.  Everything went well except for WordPress asking for ftp details every time I wanted to upload a plugin or theme.  That took hours to troubleshoot. Since I didn’t want to leave the site unprotected I uploaded all of the plugins by SFTP.  There is always more than one way to do anything.  Took me a long while, but in the end I had a perfect clone of a working WordPress site running on my VPS.

All in all I feel well satisfied with VestaCP and my spiffy new VPS from HostUS.  Speed is unbelievably fast compared with my two other VPSs.  I think I’ve found a great VPS home.