Category Archives: PhpMyAdmin

Add on Domain Success

So after the successful second installation of VestaCP decided it was time to test an add on domain. I was wondering whether there would be any challenges with DNS. I was blown away by how easy and smooth all of it went. Part of it may be that VPS 27 is a very fast VPS. And VestaCP is also a lightweight fast panel. I’d purchased one of those cheap domains at Namecheap earlier in the day. Then added my frihouse.net name servers to it. It was very easy to add on a domain in VestaCP, only thing to make sure in the DNS setup is to set it on a child template. Not the default template.

I then experimented with copying the WordPress Website on frihouse.net to the add on domain. I first created an empty database. Then uploaded the frihouse.net database to the new database in phpmyadmin. That went super fast. Then used FileZilla to SFTP a fresh installation of WordPress to the new add on domain. Also added the plugins, themes and uploaded artwork to the new installation in the add on domain. All that was left to do was to sort out the domain information in the database and config.php of WordPress, and it worked perfect. One final tweak was to give permission to the new add on domain to own the public_html of the new add on domain. Totally blew me away how fast all of that went. Like under 20 minutes.

Second VestaCP Installation

So had a second opportunity for a VestaCP installation with a new VPS that I received from freevps.us. Fantastic VPS called VPS27, courtesy of the admin and staff of freevps.us and GalaxyHostPlus. Specs of the VPS are:

Disk Size: 50 GB
Monthly Traffic: 1 TB
Memory: 1 GB
IP Addresses: 1x IPv4 & /80 IPv6
Virtualization: KVM
Location: Frankfurt, Germany
Control Panel: SolusVM
Connection: 1 Gbit/s

I was obviously more experienced with the second installation of VestaCP, however phpmyadmin gave me another big hurdle. Think I got mixed up with the tutorial that I was following and the patch that is provided for the configuration of phpmyadmin. As with the first installation, it was easy to install the database. I then did things different, wondering whether just the patch provided by VestaCP would be OK on its own. Then after that set up the configuration file by using the one that was provided by the tutorial, and think that is where I blundered. At any rate, I then ended up with lots of errors. Tried to follow the tutorial by uploading a new phpmyadmin database, creating user, etc as well as tables. That also resulted in errors. Finally I went back to the VestaCP patch and tried both versions that were provided. Then copied the configuration file for dhsites.net to frihouse.net. And finally it worked.

The DNS worked flawlessly for the second installation as well. I found that I had to add permission for frihouse.net to own WordPress. So at least now know a few of the VestaCP quirks, and was able to negotiate all of them. Wish I could be a little more sure of the steps for phpmyadmin. At least I know it’s a challenge, and after a bit of struggles have been able to get past it.

My PhpMyAdmin HURDLE!

After breezing through an easy VestaCP installation including almost instant DNS propagation I was more than ready to install a WordPress site.  I first tried to use my Duplicator Migration Installer, was delighted when the Installer.php worked, however everything else in VestaCP failed for the Duplicator Tool.  I soon realized that I’d have to copy the WordPress site the difficult way by first creating a database.

Adding a database in VestaCP is dead easy, however the fun started when after the addition the next step took me to PhpMyAdmin that was filled with error messages.  That was when I realized I needed some extra help with the configuration of PhpMyAdmin.  During my preparation before the install I had happened upon a YouTube tutorial and I used this in detail for setting up my PhpMyAdmin.

First step was to go into PhpMyAdmin as ROOT and I’d completely forgotten what my VestaPanel ROOT password was.  Initially I thought it was my VPS ROOT password, but not so.  Fortunately I was able to find it at this location:

etc/phpmyadmin/config.inc.php

Then of course bashed my head against the wall a few times as the password had been so obvious.

I was finally as Root in PhpMyAdmin and was able to follow the steps in the cheat sheet that was provided for Configuring PhpMyAdmin:

  • Add a new user
  • Keep drop boxes in window unticked – no privileges as yet
  • Create database with same name but with privileges
  • Check “global privileges” and tick all
  • Then hit “GO”
  • Import create_tables.sql.gz from a zipped folder provided by author
  • Log out of PhpMyAdmin
  • Edit config.inc.php (from zipped folder) changing name of user and password
  • Upload config.inc.php to /etc/phpmyadmin/config.inc.php
  • Log into PhpMyAdmin again as root

At this stage PhpMyAdmin was supposed to be error free.  Except there were still bugs in it.  The three last tables were disabled, and when I Googled it just couldn’t find an answer.  Was well and truly stuck until I found a solution by the VestaCP Team, which was the following patch:

wget –no-check-certificate https://raw.githubusercontent.com/skurudo/phpmyadmin-fixer/master/pma-centos.sh && chmod +x pma-centos.sh && ./pma-centos.sh

I was happy to read these words by Skurudo (VestaCP Guru):

adds in a mysql pma user / and the table phpmyadmin (if the user “pma” or the table “phpmyadmin” already exists, the script will delete those!);

It worked!  Next I was able to log in as the user of the Database I had created before I had started the PhpMyAdmin configuration (felt like ages before) and to import the WordPress site dbase.sql.

Mission accomplished!